Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Happy Birthday Christy & Mimi



I met Christy (far left;that's me in the middle) in the fourth grade. She played on my soccer team. Back in the 70s, there weren't a lot of little girls (or boys for that matter) playing soccer in Texas. Our team sucked real bad, but we had a lot of fun. Christy was our only good player. She had played soccer in Germany, with boys! She was like a nine year old living legend. She could of left us for a better team--but she stayed 'cos it was fun. That's the kind of a person Christy is: an underachiever. (Just kidding Christy)
We went to Jr.High and High School together. Made new friends, cultivated new interests, dated the same guy--the usual. As time passed our friendship waxed and waned. Still, we remained buds. Finally, in our early 20s we moved to Austin together. Christy, my boyfriend, and me. Looking back, those were some of the best days of my life. I got a crappy job at Whole Foods and was eventually promoted to a less than crappy job at Whole Foods. They sent me and a friend of my choice to Boulder, CO for "business". I took Christy. We had fun. After about a year, I decided to leave Austin and follow my boyfriend around for awhile, that's how smart I am. Christy's and my paths diverged quite a bit after that. She decided to get all independent and do crazy things like cut and dye her hair (if you'd known Christy as a youth, you'd know this was way out of character). It didn't stop there. Tattoos came. "Who is this girl?" I wondered. I would see her occasionally, if she came to Dallas or if I went to Austin. Finally, after never really wanting to leave in the first place and never liking anyplace else I'd lived any better, I made my way back to Austin.
Now, were kicking in ATX together again. Just like the old days. Even her hair color is back to its natural state. Ok, well, other than hair color it's nothing like the old days--we're too old for that shit. Christy is now a Pastry Chef and I am now an out of work recent college grad. It's really f-ing crazy how life turns out. I'm glad I still have a friend like Christy who knew me when.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHRISTY!

Today is also my Grandmother's Birthday. She's no longer with us, but you all should know she was a kick ass grandma! She spoiled me rotten, taught me how to play "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" on her organ, and made me BLTs every morning after I'd spent the night. She even let me eat in front of the TV. I have been told that when I was very small, clothes "hurt me". I also didn't like having my hair brushed. It hurt too. So when I stayed at Mimi's I got to wear my grandfather's really old, frequently laundered, over-sized tee-shirts. And she never made me brush me hair.
Mimi's given name was Aline. Once I answered her phone and when the person on the other end asked to "speak to Aline" I told them they had the wrong number. I still don't know much about this Aline person, but can tell you that Mimi ruled!

No comments: