Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Wookin' Pa Nub


Man I need a break over here. I mean, yeah, I haven't been hitting the pavement as hard as I should have been, or should be. But, I check around on the interwebs and it seems the employment well has done run dry in this town.
Today I applied for a job waiting tables, something I told myself I'd never do again after I graduated college. What are you gonna do? Cash is King. We do whatever it tells us to. If you don't believe me, just check out that shiteously wrong show on Fox where people hook themselves up to a lie detector machine and embarrass themselves and their family on national television in the hopes of winning some cabbage. I'd like to say I'm above that, but...sure am hard up these days. Well, I just remembered that show "Don't Forget the Lyrics". If I was going to humiliate myself I think I'd go that way. So yeah, I'm above that.

The ad for the restaurant job said something about having a good sense of humor. I always wince when I read something like that, or hear people say they are looking for someone with a good sense of humor, or they have a friend who is "so funny!" Funny is subjective. I mean, apparently. Truth be told I believe that what's funny is whatever I say is funny. I'm sure Adam Sandler could make me giggle a few times were we to share a beer together, but I really don't understand his appeal at the box office. An Israeli counter-terrorist bad-ass who really wants to come to America to do hair? Really?
I was thinking about the really good comedians out there. The ones who broke ground. It's kinda sad. Richard Pryor died, Eddie Murphy got real lame, Dave Chappelle lost his mind, and I fear Chris Rock is heading the way of Eddie Murphy: crappy movie after crappy movie.
Then there's the alterna-comics: David Cross, Bob Odenkirk, Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, Zach Galifianakis, Michael Showalter, Sarah Silverman, Todd Barry, Blah Blah.
Mr. Show was good. So good nobody watched it. The Sarah Silverman Program is funny...for now.
I'm getting off point now, or I don't have one, or if I do I don't know what it is.
I guess what I'm getting at here is like that old joke: Two cannibals are eating a clown when the one says to the other "Does this taste funny to you?"

No comments: