Monday, June 9, 2008

You Don't Like Me. You Really Don't Like Me.


Ugh.
So after six years of college I finally finished and said to myself "You will never wait another table again." Oh, if only.
I thought it'd be so simple. I would graduate, then get a teaching job. Boo bureaucracy. Boo teaching certificates.
At first, it was fun-- work sucks, and I wasn't working, all's good.
Then I got broke and it got old. I applied for jobs I didn't want only to never hear from them. What sucks worse than that? It's like when you kinda date somebody you're not really into and then they break up with you.
I curse these people who reject me, each and every one of them.
Finally, last week I saw an ad on craigslist for a hip restaurant in town. It's always busy and totally casual. I thought "Alright, this is it. You need a job; suck it up!" So I went and applied. They called me the next day. I have tons of experience so I suspected they would. Then, I interviewed w/ two people. Not just one, no, he liked me so I advanced to the next boss dude. He seemed to like me. I began to think it was in the bag. In my mind I was already spending the money I was sure I'd soon be making: haircut, color, pedicure, new bag, new shoes....
"OK Shelly. We'll talk it over and get back with you in about three days."
"Oh. OK. Sounds Great. Thanks for meeting with me"
(tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock)
Cut to four days later. No call.
I feeling like calling them to say that they weren't the best candidate for me either. But, it's just sour grapes. And now, finally after 18 + years of work experience, I've learned that sour grapes leave "such a bad taste".

Hey you, new wave, come over here
You're the prettiest thing I've seen all year
Hey you, new wave, don't turn away
Close those pouty lips and listen to what I say
Why must you smoke that clove cigarette?
Why must you act like you've got a hole in you head?
Why don't you split the squares and love me instead?
You're all shiny and clean, I've seen you in my dreams
Like the Rolls Royce I can't have
Your presence makes me scream
Sour grapes - you leave such a bad taste
Sour grapes - I don't need you anyways
Sour grapes - feeding, feeding my rage
Hey you, new wave, I pity you
When you get old, what will you do?
What will you do when you turn 21?
You're cockteasing at the singles bar just for fun
What will you do when you turn 31?
What will you do when you don't know how to love anyone?
I wanted her cherry, I got sour grapes
I refuse to climb the ladder for you
I refuse to pant and paw for you
I need love, don't need no beauty queen
But still, when I look at you, I scream
Sour grapes - you leave such a bad taste
Sour grapes - I don't need you anyways
Sour grapes
Just go riding right by me on the crest of the new wave
Sour grapes - feeding, feeding my rage
Sour grapes

No comments: