Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Day Three

I wish talking about my attempt at eliminating foods from animals and foods that are processed was more entertaining. I really love a good title, and I just couldn't think of one. In any event, here's how my day went: I had coffee with no cream today. It was iced; don't think I could do it hot. I didn't finish it, either. But I discovered it's doable, so that's exciting. Tonight at the grocery store I bought hazelnut flavored soy creamer...maybe the end result of that will be equally exciting. Aside from a pat of butter on my bread at dinner, it was a vegan day. So I'm sticking with the vegetarian plus the occasional unavoidable bit of dairy plan. During lunch (spicy vegetable soup) I was able to get in a few more pages of Eating Animals. Foer, or Safron Foer (whatever), spends a considerable amount of time in the first part of the book conveying that his idea with the book was to impart a story about food, and not for it to be a scholarly type work promoting vegetarianism. I can't imagine it not having that effect, though. I mean, that's why I downloaded the fucking thing. Nevertheless, I am enjoying it. He does a good job spelling out the emotional attachment we have to different foods. This is what's always frustrated me about people who think losing weight simply involves a little willpower. What we eat, why we eat, how much we eat, etc--these are all things influenced by our upbringing. Foer does a good job illustrating how much his grandmother's cooking and her attitude toward food affected him. It made me think of one of the first things Jeff said when I told him we should quit eating meat: "Think about Thanksgiving." I'd rather not, right now. Right now it's important for me to think of all the ways I want to improve my health and how changing my diet will help me do that. I've already noticed that I'm not completely sluggish and irritable around 3pm everyday. Now I just need: perfect skin, more energy, a better memory, a smaller waist, to get rid of the dark circles under my eyes, and to improve my mood. Among other things. Sorry this post wasn't funny--that's what the pic is for.

No comments: