Wednesday, September 14, 2011

An Offer I Can Refuse

Today I took a big salad to work along with a separate container of corn and beans that I'd sprinkled with cumin and garlic powder and microwaved. I added the warmed up beans and corn to the salad with some salsa and didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I thought I would. I should have stuck with chickpeas or black beans--instead I went with pinto. Pintos only work when you fry them, then fry them again. As I was forcing it down I was reading my Foer book and hit the part where he starts talking about eating dogs. I got sick to my stomach. The beans made me think of what refried beans look like in a can (even though there weren't refried), and then that made me think of dog food (which is gross) and then he's talking about cooking and eating dogs. It was all so, so very wrong. I don't think in a book promoting vegetarianism you do your argument any good by asking why we don't eat dog. Just before lunch I'd gotten a call from a corporate recruiter at my job offering me the full time administrative assistant to the VP of Healthcare Operations position. This position is the one I have now, I'm just a temp. Her "offer" included a pay increase of one dollar. While many people would greet such an offer enthusiastically, I was irritated. I know the other two dummies I work with make more than that. I don't know a number, but I know a number that one of them scoffed at--and that laughable number was seventy five cents more than what was offered me. Plus I do way more work than the other two ding-dong assistants in the office. So that was that. I stumbled over my own words and didn't know how to say "WTF? AW HELL NO!" so I was like "Well, that's less than the other assistants in the office earn." Which prompted the question "How do you know that? Discussing salary is against policy." Stammer, stammer, stammer... So that happened. I was super busy at work, too, because I'm always volunteering to help other people because I hate being bored. When I got home, I was pooped and still a little wound up and Jeff hadn't eaten "ALL DAY!" and so he wanted pizza which indicates how supportive he is when I say "I need to eat better." I said fuck that, but it really sounded good. So twice today two ordinarily irresistible offers were an affront to my person. Luckily I remembered I had some spicy tomato sauce and pasta. Thank god for Plan Bs. If you're not prepared, it's nearly impossible to stick with a plant-based/non processed food diet b/c there's no such thing as good fast food, at least not around my neighborhood. There was a fast food salad place in Austin. I really miss Austin. I'm thinking if I pick a day that represents getting over the hump I can count down to it and therefore have something to look forward to. 30 days sounds about right. Today is the end of day four. Twenty six days to go before I'm a pro at this shit.

No comments: