Friday, September 30, 2011

It's All Good


I'm approaching my one month anniversary #vegetarianism #nocokes (I'm on Twitter now). And I can honestly say, it's been easier than Jeff said it would be. I broke down and had fried cheese sticks again last Sunday. While fried mozzarella is well within the guidelines of vegetarianism and no sodaism, what's the point if you're going to eat like shit? So I said to Jeff (and myself; mostly myself) "I need to cut out the fried foods!" Then Tuesday I made these kick ass flash-fried green beans but I didn't feel bad about it b/c they weren't breaded. I know that's not the point, but I find lying to myself helpful these days. Since my last blog I tried this fake meat stuff called Quorn, which is a nonsensical and misleading name for a food product made from mushrooms, or some kind of fungi.

I'm pretty sure I had this years ago when I had some vegetarian roommates. They made a fake meat Shepherd's Pie which was the first Shepherd's Pie I ever had and, consequently, my favorite. I mixed it into pasta sauce b/c I was tired and eating well is more (as I've bitched about before) than just sound food choices, it's also grocery shopping and cooking and cleaning...after work. So anyway I was tired and didn't want to do anything that would take more than 15 minutes so I made a "meat" sauce and boiled up some rigatoni. It was a hit!Then last night I made some OUTSTANDING (if I do say so myself) veggie enchiladas. I even made the tomatillo sauce (it was just tomatillos, garlic, jalapenos, cilantro and water). The enchiladas themselves were black bean, zuchinni, yellow onion, red pepper and (drum roll please) PURPLE bell pepper! Found them at Whole Foods. I got two purple bell peppers and took a pic but I'm too lazy to connect my phone to my computer so that'll come later (if ever). You can probably find a pic doing a google image search if you were desperate to see them. After all that work, Jeff doused his in store bought salsa and it made remember being a waitress and seeing Chefs get pissed when people would ask for more this or a side of this and it's just like "Will you fucking try it first?!" In other related news, I was really hoping drinking more water and cutting out on sodas and sweets would keep me from breaking out every month before my period but that hasn't happened. I went and foolishly spent $15 on tea tree oil based cleansing pads and spot treatment (again, Whole Foods). I woke up the next morning looking like I had the measles. Should've never bought that magnifying mirror.

No comments: