Sunday, September 11, 2011

So it's been, just to guesstimate, 224 days since I've updated my blog. I don't even come here--I hate staring my own failure in the face. Still, my apologies to you, reader, I'm not giving it up completely. About a week before I turned 40 I was watching some really lame TV (I don't have cable) and heard this expression I'd (somehow) never heard before: "You leave your 40s the same way you enter them." I'm sure this means absolutely nothing, but as I neared and reached 40 I began worrying about my health and thought "Fuck, if I keep going at this rate I'll be 300 lbs at 50!" So I've decided it's time I at least make an effort to eat healthy and exercise. And when I say "it's TIME", I mean "time's approaching." I'd heard an interview a month or so ago with this doctor in his late 70s who was still working and doing his best to promote a plant-based/animal free (vegan), no processed foods diet. I never gave this viewpoint much credence. I was convinced that all one needed to live a long and healthy life was to enjoy "moderation in all things." So all I had to do was quit being excessive. So simple a step that I'd never done it. EVER. Anyway, this morning I was browsing through my Netflix instant watch options and saw the documentary that doctor has participated in/was promoting. I watched it. I became convinced. As of this moment, as of today--I'm a vegan. I never cook because I suck at it (probably because I never do it), so I know this is going to be the hardest thing I've ever done, ok, TRIED to do. And I've been online looking for cookbooks and blogs and testimonials, etc and while I'm sure it's out there I have yet to find a blog about how to change your mindset and how to get over the mental effects of giving up every bad food habit that you've had and loved forever. So I decided that I could just write about it my damn self. Today I'm excited about it. I've struggled with depression and anxiety and fatigue and I tend to believe that you are what you eat so I can't wait to see if my mood improves as well. Anyway, I'm giving it the college try but I may fail and if I do you'll be the first to know. Wish me luck! Check out what I checked out today! (the film that started it all)

No comments: